Our staff consists of primarily women and most have had children and many are grandmothers. I have had such a wide reaction that I thought I would let you know some of the good, the bad, and the downright ugly responses to my pregnancy.
- I got a few screamers and gaspers. These are my favorites!
- A few people got teary eyes. Awww.
- 90% of people hugged me and I think 100% said congrats.
- I had a few ask to touch my belly which I think is cute. I don't mind belly touching at all.
- I was told 100 stories about others women's pregnancies. Haha. Luckily, nobody gave me any labor horror stories...yet! I did get a few pregnancy horror stories including having sciatic nerve pain so badly that the woman was wheel chair bound for the end of pregnancy. Also, some women said they were required to take off work for various reasons. I also had women tell me they worked until the day the delivered. Guess you never know what to expect.
- I have been asked "Was it planned?" Yikes! Yes it was, but that is a RUDE question to ask!!! I simply told her yes. She is the youngest staff member and doesn't always have tact so I wasn't really offended, but I can imagine if the baby was an accident it would be a little awkward.
- The winner of worst response (although her initial reaction was wonderful) came after the woman asked me how I was feeling. When I told her that I felt great she went into a story about how when she knew something was wrong when she felt perfect during a pregnancy and sure enough she had a miscarriage. I think she realized after that it was probably not a good thing to say so she backpedaled a little and went on to explain that her other pregnancies were horrible. It really didn't bother me, but talk about foot in mouth! Another woman in the room said she had 2 pregnancies and felt amazing during both of them and still feels pregnancy was one of the best times of her life. So again, I think everyone is just so different when it comes to being prego.
I have since been given several books and book recommendations from staff members which I think is so very sweet. Everyone has been so supportive and excited about this pregnancy. I really love my staff!!