Sunday, October 30, 2011

Telling My Parents They are Going to be Grandparents!

I realized that I told the story of telling my husband that he was going to be a daddy, but I never told the story of telling the rest of my family. So here it is:

October 8th was the day I found out my lifelong dream of becoming a mom was coming true and the same day my husband found out he was going to be a dad. We decided to only tell our immediate family and my very best friend (who is 2 months ahead of me in her pregnancy) because they were the people we would tell even if we miscarried. I had to tell my whole immediate family at the same time because there was no way I could choose telling one person over another. My husband and I decided to put a onsie (I bought 6 months ago to inspire me to workout for our future child) in a gift bag. We made one for my mom and one for my dad. We decided to give them the gift bag at our weekly family Sunday dinner. So around 4:30 we got in the car with our gift bags and excitedly talked about sharing the big news the whole way to my parents house, about 20 minutes.

When we arrived I could barely contain myself and grabbed the gift bags from the back of the car and dashed to the front door. As I opened the door my heart sunk!!! There in the front entryway was a complete stranger!! My brother greeted us with a, "Oh hey, this is my roommate." All the blood emptied from my body and my husband and I looked at each other in sheer horror. Our little secret would have to wait another week.

I have no idea how I kept the secret that long. I think it was the reason for my insomnia that week because I just had so much trouble not telling my family.

The next week we were relieved to see that no Sunday dinner guests were at my parents house and we could finally reveal our secret! We sat my parents at the head of one side of the table and had them open the presents at the same time. Needless to say, everyone was shocked. There was a lot of congrats, I can't believe it, and my dad popped the champagne. Of course I had to pass on the champagne because the little one isn't old enough to drink yet, but everyone else enjoyed it. My mom refused to give back the onsie and it is now hanging in her closet.  We are thrilled that nobody suspected and that everyone is overjoyed that a new little one will be joining us in Sunday dinners. It is so much more fun to be able to share the excitment with others and I cannot wait until we are 13 weeks (6 weeks from now) and we can share our news with everyone we know!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story about telling your family! I don't know how you contained yourself for a week either! I originally had considered not telling ANYONE until after 12 weeks, but I know realistically I can't keep a secret from my parents that long or my best friend. I give you credit for holding it in an extra week! That's so cute that you got onesies for them! I have very similar ideas to tell my parents/sisters. I also have a special idea for my husband. I can't wait to share all of them! :)

    It will be wonderful when you get to 13 weeks!! :) I will be liking the facebook updates like crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We decided to tell immediate family and a few friends because I know I will need support if something goes wrong. Besides, for me it is impossible to keep that kind of secret a secret for too long!

    Can't wait to here how you share the news when your get your BFP!

    ReplyDelete