Friday, September 30, 2011

Best Day Ever

So I had pretty much the best day ever. Well, not ever ever, but pretty close.  Let me start by saying that yesterday a teacher from our school was out and there was a sub. I am in her room for a few hours a day and being in the room with a sub it made me miss subbing.I like my job, but there is something about being in charge of 32 kids that is just so FUN! So I was talking to the sub and she has been trying to get a teaching job for 4 years now!! WHAT?! That is crazy. Anyway, at the end of the day I was feeling bummed because I missed subbing and wished I could get benefits by being a sub. Well, you can't so I was bummed for the ride home and then moved on with life.

Today I showed up to work (wearing my favorite outfit, mind you) and about 30 minutes into the day my supervisor rushes in and says that a sub didn't show up and I needed to teach a class for them. I am one of two credentialed  paras so they decided to use me as the sub. I was excited because I LOVE teaching, but was sad because the class I was working with was putting on the play they had been practicing and I was going to miss it. Of course I said yes to subbing because I would never turn down anything that might win me brownie points and I love teaching. So I wrote quick sub notes for the person that would be filling in for me and rushed to the 4th grade wing. Nothing spectacular happened and the kids were pretty average kids as far as behavior, but OMG I was having a blast. By the end of the day when the kids left I had SO much energy! I was on a teaching high which is way better that any runners high. It renewed my belief that teaching is my calling even if the economy sucks and there are no jobs. I can't think of anything more fun. One of the kids even came up to me at the end of the day and said I was funner (I tried not to cringe at the use of the word funner) than any other sub in all of history! The kids were well behaved we all liked each other and I just wish more than anything that I could do that everyday!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! I'm so glad that you got the chance to do that!! I've been trying to get a job for 3 years now and was really thinking I didn't want to do this anymore, until yesterday! I had the SAME experience you had (well minus working in a school district already)! I felt AMAZING when I left the school. I realized how much I love teaching! I'm so glad you go to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to keep the momentum when things seem so dire as far as getting jobs. I am so glad that you got a reminder of why we are sticking to our career choice even if we have to be more patient getting a job than we should have to. Just curious what is your favorite grade level?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to keep up momentum - I agree!

    You know, I'm certified for ages 6-12..but I really love the 5th graders. They're still innocent and usually kind. My second favorite would be Fresh/Soph. Although they tend to have the attitudes, they also still usually haven't given up on school/graduation. It's easier to motivate them.

    What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am certified for k-8, but the only way I can teach 6-8th grade is if it is a self contained class which they rarely are. Otherwise you have to have specialized in a subject such as Math. I personally LOVE the little kids. Kinder, first and second are my favorite. They are so darn cute and I love teaching beginning reading and writing. I was a sub for ALL grades and I liked elementary or high school, but the in between grades (7-8th grade)are NOT my forte.

    ReplyDelete