Thursday, March 22, 2012

What happened to my bellybutton?

My bellybutton is quite fascinating these days if I do say so myself. It ever so slowly crept out of its cave until it was a flat plane blending in with the rest of my stomach. I discovered that bellybuttons are actually significantly softer than the rest of my skin, who would have thought! Well, just a few days ago my belly button decided to half way cave back in, but left the top half to ever so slightly protrude beyond my belly. I guess this is the course it is taking to become an outie. Oh, the changes of pregnancy.

I had a growth scan today which was basically an ultrasound to make sure my little girl is growing like she should. The tech warned me that it would not be in depth like the past ultrasounds and that he was just grabbing a few measurements. First off, my baby is getting SO big!! I can't believe how much of my belly she is taking up! Also, my breech little baby started off head down! Yay! Of course within 6 minutes she found her way to a transverse position. At least she is trying head down since she needs to get used to it!

The ultrasound was fun, but she doesn't fit nicely on the screen anymore since she is huge. We get to see her in parts. He did his measurements and I wasn't able to see too well, but my husband had a great view. The whole time my bladder was exploding because they make you drink a bunch 1 1/2 hours before the ultrasound and hold your pee. When he gets done with the measurements he says, that he has to wait for my bladder to fill because he can't get a look at my cervix. Uhhh, you mean to tell me my bladder isn't full? Then why do I have the urge to pee all over this bed? He said we may need to wait for another 30 minutes to get the measurement he needs and that I should drink more water while waiting. Telling a pregnant woman to hold obscene amounts of water for several hours is a mighty request, but I really had no choice so I crossed my legs and hoped for the best.

Luckily, to kill time he lets us see each inch of our baby: both hands, both feet and legs, and various bones. He then asked if there was anything else we wanted to see. I felt like we covered all the bases, but asked to see her little heart. One of the best moments in my life was seeing the little heartbeat of my baby at the 8 week scan and 20 weeks later it still fills me with awe to see this little heart beating away. The tech was awesome and zoomed all the way in so we could see all 4 chambers. It really was spectacular!! He was also the fourth confirmation ( 13, 18, 20, 28 weeks) that we are indeed having a little girl. I laugh when people say not to count on the sex guess because sometimes the docs are wrong. I am not so sure 4 different ultrasound techs can be wrong. We also saw a close up of her girl parts and there is nothing boy about her!

He was able to get the measurements before our 30 minutes were up which was a relief.  We find out in a week if she is growing on schedule. Next week cannot come soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment