Saturday, May 11, 2013

So It Has Begun

I am taking a tiny break from 31 Days of May The CF Way to mention my very favorite time of spring. It is the time of the year when the days are long and hot. When the irritation of allergies has faded. The hard work of planting your garden is done...


And you reap the benefits!! I put in my garden April 3rd (my birthday) and it is just now exploding with life!


Kaylee and I garden every morning and the first thing she does is look to see if there are ripe strawberries on our twelve (yes, twelve) strawberry plants. She gets beyond excited if she sees one. She starts squealing  "Num num" (her way of saying she wants something yummy) until I pick it for her. Needless to say my husband and I have not gotten even one strawberry yet...the girl loves them!

It got hot fast this year so I think this will be the last of our beans until fall...

 But my favorite summer vegetable (technically a fruit) is just starting to produce fruit! This tomato plant along with one other has already grown out of its cage. We have three regular and one cherry tomato plant.

One of Kaylee's favorite- squash just starting to grow!


This year we have:

  • 45 onions
  • 12 strawberry plants
  • 12 snap pea vines (that will be dying off shortly)
  • 2 cucumber plants
  • 4 tomato
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 squash
  • 6 jalapeno
  • 1 habanero
  • 2 different varieties of basil
  • Lemon Balm
  • Mint
  • Lavender
I am excited to see how well we do this year since our crop last year was just okay. I think giving birth in the middle of summer, never weeding after baby came, and then forgetting to water for waaaay too long didn't help our crop last year. I am so excited to feed my family organic home grown food this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment