Wednesday, May 8, 2013

CF Awareness Month Blog - Non Compliance


Unfortunately, like many cysters and fibros I went through a period on noncompliance. After I was diagnosed I was required to do the Flutter once a day. I also had to take enzymes. I often fought with my parents about the Flutter because I never felt sick (heck I lived 14 years without ANY treatment so what was one missed treatment going to do?) By high school I was really good about doing my Flutter because I hated coughing in front of my peers, but during this time my doctor decided to add more to my daily routine. I got the Vest around this time and was supposed to start Tobi and Pulmozyme. I fought my nebs a lot. I hated the thought of this disease taking over my free time. 

My first year of college was the worst. I was living in the dorms and there was always something going on. No matter what time of day or night there were always things to do, people to see, places to go.  I would often find myself rolling into bed in the early morning hours when it was much too late to do treatments. I was tired and I would tell myself I would double up Vest time the next day, but somehow that extra Vest time never seemed to happen. Over the next few years I learned how to do enough of my treatments to keep myself from getting too sick and having to go to the doctor, but not enough to actually be a good compliant cyster. I think the fact I was so active (I was on the water polo team, took dance classes, and went to the gym) was the reason I got through those years without doing much as far as treatments.

Around the time I met my husband I realized that I did want a family, a future, kids. I decided I needed to step up my treatment regiment. I started doing all my treatments (although it was discovered in college I was allergic to Tobi so I only had to do Albuterol, Pulmozyme, Vest and my Flutter). I wish I had started being compliant so much earlier. I wish in junior high I could have realized 30 minutes twice a day was worth my health and well being. I wish I would have taken the time on college to shut my dorm door and taken care of myself. I can't change the past, but I can choose how to live now and in the future. My health is on the top of my priority list and it will be there for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment