Friday, April 15, 2011

How does that make you feel?

I am at a point in my life that I am feeling desperate to make changes in my health and in myself. I feel at a crossroads. My health is still fine (I work full time, have a social life, go to the gym just like any other person and I only need IV tune ups every 1-2 years), but at the same time its not stellar. I don't have great lung function and I am getting older! I feel like I can either step it up and do everything in my power to get healthier/maintain my health or I can continue down mediocre path and decline much more quickly.

I choose to FIGHT!

I am looking at whole self wellness too. Not just meds and treatments. This is why I started yoga and running. *See previous posts about these activities* I have also started seeing a counselor. I never in a million years thought I would see a counselor. It may seem obvious that someone with a fatal disease may want someone to talk to about it. I have never suffered from depression (which I am so grateful for) so I never though I needed to see someone. So why did I start?

It is a funny reason that I started actually. It came as part of my insurance plan through work. Now my insurance makes me pay an arm and a leg each month. I am not kidding it is a HUGE portion on my paycheck, but being a CFer I don't have a choice. It's not like I can buy private insurance, but I digress. Since I knew I could get so many session free and technically I was paying for them in the plan I decided to try it out.

I never would have ever gone if it wasn't part of my insurance plan, but I am sooo happy I did. It has allowed me to learn so much more about myself and how I view my illness. It has also allowed me to include my husband in this side of me (since I tell him all the discoveries I made in session) and it makes me feel so much closer to him letting him know all my dark secrets.

Any CFers (or other people with chronic illness) if you have the opportunity to talk to a professional I would completely recommend it. I think everyone that deals with chronic and/or fatal illnesses probably have some pent up feeling about it and it can't hurt to try to improve yourself and your understanding of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment