Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Night Time Cough

Is there anything more annoying than the CF night time cough?

You are sound asleep snuggled under your covers cuddled up to the one(s) you love, blissfully dreaming, when all of the sudden the coughs violently shake you from your slumber. You are too tired to even open you eyes at first. You long to be back in dreamland so you try your hardest to drift back to sleep. The coughs keep coming, louder, harder. Your loved ones start to stir, you realize you have to pee, and yet you still try to pretend that you will be able to sleep through this thunderstorm in your chest. You puff Albuterol in hopes of calming your lungs enough to pretend it isn't happening and yet it is in all in vain. At this point you are starting to wake. It is not just that your eyes are open, but your bladder, stomach, brain is already starting to perk up. The sleep you were once enjoying is drifting away and you are stuck in limbo: Not fully awake yet, but no longer asleep. You gaze at your loved one sleeping and long to be them, long to dream their dream in their quiet body and yet you are stuck in your loud violent body coughing, coughing, coughing.

You know this will pass and so you wait...and eventually you will sleep again. Your body quiet, your cough temporarily calm, your dreams are back. You can sleep once again, until your lungs start to rumble and it starts all over again.

8 comments:

  1. Ohhhh I could have written this post! It's driving me crazy this week with the CS recovery too. Ugh - I HATE night coughs! Hope you feel better ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Night cough+ c-section recover+ postpartum recovery sounds no fun at all!! I had a 2nd degree tear which I am sure is a paper cut compared to a c-section incision and I hated coughing at all the 2 weeks after K was born. You are a trooper!

      Delete
  2. Do your loved ones wake up when you cough at night? I have to immediately move to the couch. Night time coughing is the worst. Especially when you have children who wake up at 6am!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband sleeps through everything so he doesn't even flinch. Kaylee will wiggle around and try to get away from me, but never really opens her eyes. I guess I am lucky they are heavy sleepers.

      I wish babies had snooze buttons for the nights that are rough! I was laying awake coughing at 3am and all I could think was, "Go back to sleep quick, you only have 3 hours left!!"

      Delete
  3. I have had this happen and it's not fun. In fact, I usually wake up Maria when this does occur. But thankfully its not very often. So are you not feeling good????

    Usually when this happens I get out of bed and sit on the couch for a few mins and drink a glass of water and try to cough out the junk away from the family.

    I hope you feel better soon IH :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't always get night coughs because I am sick, sometimes I get them if I have a plug or some mucus caught in my airway. I don't bother getting away from my family, lol, but they are so used to my coughing they don't even notice. If it is really bad I wake my husband so he can do CPT.

      Delete
  4. Oh MAN this post hits home! I've been on the couch more often than not this trimester because of night time coughing. Ugh CF night coughs are THE WORST! I'm so glad your husband doesn't wake up to them. Mine is up the second one starts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Night cough plus pregnancy is never fun!My husband snores so I think he is used to sleeping though loud noises. Poor Kaylee, if I am not coughing then hubby is snoring and sometimes we are both making noise. She had to learn to sleep through noise since she sleep between us!

      Delete