Friday, May 16, 2014

When Running Is No Longer an Option

Part of my current goal for my health is to gain weight, but more importantly to gain muscle. I am on an appetite stimulant and am quickly gaining the fat I lost through being so sick, but now I have the job of using that energy and calories and gaining as much muscle as possible, since it is a better weight to have. Muscle is much harder to lose than fat so I want to gain weight, but mostly in the form of muscle. The question is how to gain muscle and build my lungs when my lung function is so very low. I took for granted how easy it was to work out with 50% lung function. It seems like an unbelievably daunting, almost impossible task, when your lung function is so very low.

While discussing working out with my doctor last clinic he told me with the most empathetic tone that he doesn't think I should jog anymore. He feels it is too much of a strain for my body and I need to try things that build muscle, but are low stress on the body such as yoga, pilates, weight training on weight machines, etc. He was so sweet in his delivery, worried I would be upset being told I could no longer run, but in my head all I could think was, "YESSSSSSSSSSSS!" 

I started running so I could quit the gym because we needed to save money. Being sick is expensive! Co-pays, prescriptions and my hubby has had to take more time off work than he has sick days for because of my hospital stays and frequent sickness so we have been extra tight when it comes to finances lately. But in all honesty, I hate hate hate running.

So as my doctor requested I rejoined the gym. I had already started going to yoga again a few months back. I have to say being back at the gym and being back in my yoga studio makes me feel so much healthier. I know it hasn't been long enough to actually make much of an improvement, but being in the places I used to go to when I was my healthiest (right before I had K) makes me feel like I am that person again, the "healthy" person, the strong person, the fit person. I feel a new sense of hope, being in these places knowing that each day I am slowly, but surely making my body, my lungs, my spirit just a little bit stronger. Maybe, just maybe someday I can be that healthy strong person again!

No comments:

Post a Comment