Monday, November 19, 2012

First Cold

I have been really healthy since I stopped working at a germ infested elementary school (said with love).  I have very little exposure to germs since I am usually at home with Kaylee and all of my mommy friends are sure to stay far away when they are sick or have a little one that is sick. My husband on the other hand, works with a lot of people everyday and so is constantly exposed to germs. He normally has a very good immune system and rarely get sicks. When he does get sick it is a little like this. This past week he came home with a cold that lasted about two days, no big deal. We were so nervous that Kaylee would catch it, but as the days went by and she seemed fine we became more confident that she would stay healthy. I was so worried about Kaylee catching the cold, but I forgot that getting sick is a big problem for me too. Sure enough I caught my husband's cold just in time for the holidays!

This is the first time I have gotten sick (minus a few random fevers) since Kaylee arrived so it should be interesting. I have been napping with her for every nap which has left me feeling really well rested, but a little more chesty since I have spent so much time laying down. Kaylee is very good at self entertaining so I have spent extra time doing treatments while she plays nearby. I also spent the remaining hours of the day with her wrapped in the Moby so that she could be close and comfy, but I didn't need to entertain her since she is perfectly content hanging out in the Moby watching me go about my life. I have felt that I may need a tune up for a while now and I think this will do me in. I go to clinic next Monday and will be sure to share the verdict with you.

6 comments:

  1. OH NO!!!!! How evil a cold for thanksgiving. I know I always worry about bringing something home to my girls as I work with many people. Plus the new building that we work with they made the cubicles even closer with lower walls. That means germs spread very very easily. All I can do is purell and avoid the sick people when I can. I guess that is why my hands look like they have been through a war. Purell is awful on your skin when its cold and its cold here!!!

    Well I hope you get better on your own and avoid the tune up!!! I hope Kaylee is spared on this cold as well. Just what a bummer for you cyster. But remember you need to take care of yourself so if it is a hospital stay then its a hospital stay.

    Here is to wishing you well and I hope you can enjoy thanksgiving with the family!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I am feeling a lot better besides a little settling of mucus in my lungs. Also, so far Kaylee seems just fine! Whew.

      When I worked at the elementary school and was pregnant I was so paranoid that I would get sick that I used obscene amounts of purell. I am pretty sure I single handedly kept them in business.

      Happy *almost* Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  2. Do you have a home iv option? That is the next step for me if I can't beat these bugs with the set of orals I'm on right now. At least I can still be at home with the kiddos. Hope you are able to get tuned up with as little disruption to your life as possible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thank goodness my doctors let me do home IVs. I will absolutely do them at home if I can't get this nasty cough under control. Sorry to hear you are dealing with pesky lung bugs too :/

      Delete
  3. Good luck! Mahon's work is one of our biggest sources of contagion. He only catches maybe 1-2 colds a year at most, but if he brings them home to me, I end up in the hospital! Last winter we instituted a germ protocol that really seemed to help, and we're doing it again this year. It's a huge pain, but worth it IMO if it keeps me out of the hospital (esp while pregnant). After he gets home from work, he immediately showers, changes, and does a sinus rinse (to hopefully clear out any incubating bacteria), and puts his clothes right into the dirty laundry so that he's not hanging out in the clothes he was in all day at work. He also takes a lot of Emergen-C through the day if someone is sick at work.

    Last year was the first year in our whole marriage that I didn't go to the hospital multiple times for work-related illnesses, so I feel like it did make a difference!

    My doctor says I should just move to a desert island. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is like Mahon in that he rarely gets sick, but I usually catch whatever he brings home. I like your germ protocol. My husband tried sinus rinses and he HATES them. He has sinus issues, but he can't stand the feeling of the rinses...I think it feels good.

      Delete