Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Baby fever

My mother told me that since the time I could talk I begged her for a sister on a regular basis. I had an older brother whom I loved dearly, but for this maternal little girl all I wanted was a baby sister to play with. No brother, or puppy, or even a neighbor's baby would suffice. At the tender (well for me it was bossy) age of four I was given a little sister and I was over the moon. She became my baby and no job was too hard or gross or tough for me, her big sister. Crying and fussing? No problem! Diapers? My specialty! Spit up? I just brush it off my shoulder! That love for babies has never subsided and I believe it grows stronger as I get older.

I am happily married and both my husband and I have a case of baby fever. You may be saying, "What is the problem pop out a kid and cure your acute case of baby fever". Well, here come the challenging part. I have Cystic Fibrosis. Now this is not the end all be all for my baby desires. In face these days more and more women with Cystic Fibrosis are having one, two, or even more children. In fact, I follow several blogs written by these very women. The problem lies in the fact that doctors recommend women have FEV lung function 50% and higher in order to get pregnant. Here is the kicker. I have numbers that hover around 46%-49%. Ahhh so close and yet so far!! 

***For those of you without CF knowledge and are concerned that I have less than 1/2 of my lungs let me explain. FEV is the amount of air a person can blow out in 1 second, not the amount of air they have in their lungs. The amount of air I blow out in one second is only 46% of what I SHOULD be blowing out in one second. ****

You may be saying, "What is the big deal? Work harder and improve your one second blow." As any CFer knows, it is not that easy, but as you will find out throughout this blog that I intend on doing just that! I have a very extensive action plan and you can have the enjoyment of seeing if it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment