Sunday, February 9, 2014

Fundraising for Great Strides

It is almost that time of year again that CFers and those who love them all over the US start preparing and fundraising for The Great Strides. My family and I have been going for years, but the last few years have been lackluster at best. 2 years ago I was heavily pregnant and didn't make it through the whole 5K. The following year my sister was heavily pregnant and to be honest the whole thing snuck up on me and I am not sure I even raised any money. This year I am determined to make up for the last few years. Nobody is pregnant and I am already preparing so it won't sneak up on me again.

I have a little problem though. I love raising money that I know we need so badly for research and as we get closer and closer to more inhaled abx (inhaled levaquin, Amikacin and Vanco, anyone?) and to CFTR modulation therapy (Vertex, anyone?) and anti-inflammatory drugs (Alpha 1 Anti-Trypsin) I feel determined to make sure the money that is needed for these cutting edge drugs is available. However, I have never done any fundraising besides asking (begging?) family and friends for their money. And let's face it, I don't have any billionaire friends to support my cause so my fundraising is always modest at best. I would love to be one of those teams that raises obscene amount of money and give back to my CF community, but I honestly have no idea where to begin. I am not even sure how to go about asking companies or big corporations that have the money to give to little old me.

Anyone have success or advice? Any blog links of people who share their secret or the process? I would love all and any advice because I am willing to put in the work, but i have no idea where to begin.

2 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog. I have a 2 year old with CF and have fund raised like you for the past 2 years. This year I am organizing a fund raising event for the first time. I asked my local CFF chapter for advice and they helped a lot. Reach out to your chapter, that's a big part of what they're there for. I also asked friends for help. I have a friend who has connections at a local bar, and they are letting us have the event there for no charge at all. Gonna get some musician friends to play and get some local businesses/ sports teams to donate auction items. I'm really excited about it,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are doing a great job. Thanks for your hard work from all us fibros and cysters! I will be sure to get in contact with my CFF chapter as I haven't even attempted that yet. I feel like recently there has been so much progress towards improving our lives I want to make sure to keep the momentum (and money) coming!

      Delete