Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Everything Feels Backwards

I haven't written in a while. For so long CF was taking over every aspect of my life. I didn't want to dedicate more time to CF and talk about it in my blog. A year ago I just finished transplant testing and CF seemed to be at the front of everything. I wanted to push CF to the back of my mind and ignore it's existence. Of course, my failing health wouldn't let me and so I took a break from blogging to get a mental break from thinking too deeply about what was happening in my life.

In November, Trikafta entered my life. Suddenly, I had energy, I had health, I had hope. I was busy living life. So many fears and worries of the future melted away and I didn't want to stop living my life to write about CF in my blog.

Then March arrived and Coronavirus arrived in the US. Schools closed, my husband's work closed, and we were told to hide in isolation from everyone we knew. It is amazing how quickly life can change.

It is strange how my "corona" life has mirrored so much of my late stage CF life. So much fear of germs, wearing masks in public, missing out on fun things in the name of health and safety. It almost feels like life as usual except I am not the only one canceling fun activities, wearing a mask, slathering hand sanitizer whenever I touch anything outside my home. The strangest part is while the world is suffering and struggling I personally feel well. While thousands of people worldwide are gasping for air, suffocating, feeling the exhaustion that comes from the lack of oxygen, I am breathing fine. I no longer wake up coughing, I no longer experience shortness of breath, I can breathe. And I guess I should feel relief...and I do.

But man, my heart breaks for every person suffering right now. I know too intimately what they feel, despite never experiencing coronavirus. I know the fear, the panic, the pain that comes from lungs that are failing you. And I have had 35 years to cope with it, and 35 years of getting through so that I can tell myself (even lie to myself) that I will be fine even when I struggle to breath. But all of these people are experiencing it for the first time and the fear they feel must be extraordinary. My heart breaks for them. My heart breaks for their family.

It feels so weird to feel healthy in a suffering world when for the past few years I felt suffering in what felt like a healthy world.


No comments:

Post a Comment