Thursday, April 25, 2019

Transplant Evaluation Day 2

**Start here for Day 1**

Tuesday was much shorter (which means a much shorter blog post too...whew!

I had to start the day fasting again. I know it sound silly to complain, but I know I was at a calorie deficit from the day before so I woke up really really hungry!

10:00 Esophagram: I checked in for my esophogram at 10:00. They had me change into a gown and explained the test. Then I waited for a really long time. I guess they were finishing up with another patient and it was taking longer than expected. Finally, the doctor came in to get started. I was given a cup of barium with a straw. I was told that I would be asked to take a large mouthful of barium and not to swallow it until instructed. I would then be moved into various positions and asked to swallow the barium. They were going to watch how the barium travelled down my esophagus and into my stomach. I had heard Barium was chalky and gross, but honestly it wasn't bad. It tasted like a  flavorless Ensure. It is much easier to drink than the syrup they make you drink for diabetes testing!

So I took gulps of barium while standing up, then while laying on my stomach, and on my back. Then they had my lift my legs in the air, put them down and lift again. I believe they were doing this to look for reflux. I was trying to watch the monitor while the test was going on although it was at a weird angle so I only got quick glimpses. It was pretty fascinating watching the way food travels through the body.

I thought I would be excited to break my fast, but I had so much barium that I actually felt full. I ate a little something anyway because I knew my next appointment would be long.

Class For Transplant: This was a 2 hour class. I was in class with 2 other transplant hopefuls and all of their support people. It was a full house. I was nervous being in a class with other people with lung disease, but it was obvious none of them had CF and I am sure they didn't pose a threat to me, but I wore my mask anyway.

None of the information was new to me and I had heard it all before through research or being part of the CF community. But I surprisingly started to get a bit teary when they talked about donors. It is hard to think that your only chance at life is if someone else's ends tragically. It also made me think about if I ever lost my loved ones in a sudden tragedy. There is no getting around the weight that all transplants represent earth shattering loss mixed with life saving hope.

We were done by 3, but for some reason I left feeling a bit shell shocked and exhausted. Like I said the class didn't cover anything new, but maybe talking about transplant in regards to yourself feels very very heavy! I was glad that this day was shorter and we were able to go back to our Air BnB to relax and get ready for the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment