Saturday, January 26, 2019

Thursday Traditions

Getting ready to list for transplant has made me feel a strong urge to document more of my daily life with Kaylee. Just in case. I know that sounds morbid and I promise I am hopeful for a future. But if things don't end well she will have a great record of our lives together. And if it does end well then we will both have a great record of our past. Win, win.




My husband has always worked late into the evening on Thursdays. There were other evenings that he works until after Kaylee is in bed, but this is one particular day I don't see him before bed either. When Kaylee was little this made for a long evening especially in the winter when we were trapped inside. Born from this less than ideal situation came my favorite tradition with my little girl.




Every Thursday Kaylee and I made homemade pizza. In the past I used to make dough with her, but admittedly have gotten lazy and started buying store bought dough in recent years. It was a fun dinner because even at a young age Kaylee and I could do it together. She would stand on her little chair next to me, we would both put on aprons and create our own pizza masterpiece. Back when the tradition first started Kaylee insisted that we only call one another "pizza lady" instead of our real names. After the pizza was done she would often be found marching around the house shouting, "Pizza for sale!"




The next part of the tradition actually started as a separate tradition that eventually merged with pizza lady Thursday. When Kaylee was little there were times that I really wanted to watch TV especially on those long winter nights. Unfortunately, I really hate kids cartoons. So I opted to watch cooking shows (we used to watch Pioneer Woman the most) because it never had inappropriate content and we both found it interesting. Kaylee would spend the entire show talking nonstop, "That looks yummy, Can we make that? I like broccoli, ooh I bet that is yummy...." and I essentially couldn't hear a single thing. But it was still better than a kids cartoon.




Fast forward to last year, and we started watching a cooking show (she loves the British Baking Show) and eating pizza on the living room floor. At first, I felt bad eating dinner while watching tv because it was so very different than how we were raised. The dinner table was for eating, not the living room floor. But then I got over it. 6 days a week we sit at the kitchen table and talk over dinner so one day eating in front of the TV can't hurt and has turned into such a fun tradition we both look forward to.




And the last part of the tradition just started last year! When my husband would come home and crawl into bed it would often wake me up and sometimes I would struggle to fall back asleep. When Kaylee got a full sized bed I realized that there was absolutely room for two people especially considering she is still so small. Thursday night I started sleeping in her bed. That way I don't wake up when my husband gets home (around 2 am) and he doesn't wake up to my early alarm. We both sleep better and Kaylee counts down the days every week for her mommy sleep over.


And now Thursdays are known as our pizza lady, baking show, sleepover nights.

1 comment: