Saturday, October 28, 2017

Medication Rules

Anyone else feel like trying to take oral antibiotics the right way is somewhat of a puzzle? You would think popping a pill two times a day is easy, but of course they have to add all these "rules" that complicate everything! And at my age if I am going to take an antibiotic I am going to take the damn thing right because I am not messing around when it comes to CF.


My current antibiotic rules per my pill bottle:


"Take this medication 2 hours before or 6 hours after meals, antacids, vitamins/minerals."
Also
"Do not take with dairy"


Before I head to the gym I usually drink a glass of milk, but since I can't take cipro with dairy or 6 (Yes, six) hours after eating I figured this is the best time to fit in my antibiotic. So my pre-gym routine is currently (and temporarily) a glass of water, cipro, and minocycline. Easy enough! By the time I work out, shower, dress, and do treatments I am around the two hour mark.


The evening dose is a little trickier. I take an antacid in the evening (I know you are supposed to take it in the morning. Long story, but basically I do it all wrong so don't be like me). Antacids and cipro don't mix. Fair enough. I also take Orkambi in the evening which needs to be taken with fatty food. Oh wait, Cipro can't be in that mix either. So I had the perfect plan. Eat dinner, six hours later take my antibiotics. Set my alarm for 2 hours and go to bed. I had my Orkambi, enzymes, my night meds and some string cheese sitting next to a glass of water next to my bed waiting for my alarm to go off. Great idea, right?


Except in the morning I woke up to realize I must have never actually set the alarm because there everything sat untouched next to my bed. Sigh! I am frustrated with myself because I was up coughing at one point and I wish I would have been coherent enough to see my meds next to the bed. So I got my antibiotics in, but missed everything else last night!


And before I sound like a spoiled brat, I do realize this puzzling oral antibiotic schedule is a piece of cake compared to IV schedules or hospital stays and I am grateful that I am able to do oral antibiotics (and I super hope it works this time)!

No comments:

Post a Comment